Making a website.

So here’s a scenario for you.

You’re an independent musician focusing on internet promotion to get your music and other projects out there. After around four years, you’ve accumulated a bit of media attention and some really awesome fans, many of whom have become some of your greatest friends. You can’t play very many shows yet because you’re still in college, but you spend every free moment you have trying to spread the word about the performances you do manage to line up. Eventually, you get to play the show in, say, Winner, SD (and it’s awesome). Immediately upon returning home, you check your YouTube messages and right on top is one that looks like this:

Subject: Your Biggest Fan!
Dear Lauren,
I love your music so much. I have all your CDs and they are constantly on repeat in my car. My ultimate dream is to see you play a live show. Why don’t you ever come to Winner, SD?


jnrfdgoffseosfkdfsdkdsfjj (In case you were wondering, that is the result of your head banging into your keyboard because your diligent promotion managed to escape the attention of your biggest fan and you really have no idea when you’ll have the money to visit Winner, SD again)

Today (well, yesterday when I wrote this), I’ve decided that I’m actually going to put together a comprehensive website that covers all of the various music and internet projects I’ve started over the past few years. I bought a brand new 13” MacBook Pro about a week ago, so I’ve been playing with iWeb pretty much all day. I seem to have given up trying to do something creative and I'm just going with their cookie cutter layouts until I figure out how to do something else, but we'll see how long that lasts. I’m not sure where I’m going to host this or which domain name to buy or if I’ll even finish the website before I get distracted and start another project, but it’s a start.

I realize that I’m probably going to be linking to this site on all of my other various methods of internet expression for a long time before people even consider coming here first for updates, but we’ll see how it goes. If I can reach one more fan that would have missed a show update otherwise, then it’s worth a try.

7 comments:

Mia Malene said...

Looking forward to seing the new website =D

Btw. if you get stuck and don't know how to move on with the layout I provide layouts for free (examples here: http://www.miissy.dk , http://www.miissy.dk/portfolio and http://www.miissy.dk/artfolio). :P

And I totally agree with your biggest fan (I consider myself one of them :P) : your music is AWESOME!

/Mia Malene

narglecatcher said...

Ok the browser thing ate my comment ... no fun -.- So as I was trying to say... Go Lauren. I'm so glad you're making a website and knowing it's going to be from the creative person you are it can only be awesome. I fully support you in your decision yet I can't prevent feeling a little jealous on your macbook pro. It costs like the double of the US price. Ungh.

Matt said...

Funny, every since Nerdapalooza I've been thinking of restarting work on a project that I think would help you out (that's the intention at least). OK, just for you, if I can get my MBP working again (it was my dev environment, but has been acting up recently) I'll see what I can do about finishing things up.

KaraDawlish said...

Everytime i come to one of your shows i get there SO late. Due to whatever problem thats chooses to occur on that day :P Your LeakyCon show was THE first& last show i made it to on time. Lol because i was Already there for the other bands& things just worked out i guess. Your shows are fun<3 your musoc is awesome<3 i find it conforting when u forget a chord and have to laugh it off &start over because it kind of reminds everyone your onpy human too. Lol that sounded wierd :D

KaraDawlish said...

Spelling. Fail.
Enough said...

^^^my comment not the blog

Anonymous said...

That's a very good idea, Lauren. I also LOVE all your music.
Unfortunately I live in Spain, so I think I will not be able to see you in a live show. But I 'd really love to. If I ever go to America and you're on tour, you can be sure that I will be there to see you and sing your songs!!!
Regards ^^

Allli said...

Love the idea lauren! you are so so so cool!

also not to be a stalker or anything i found out that you go to one of the colleges around where i live and i'm super excited now because that makes me love you even more!

Post a Comment